By Kevin C. O'Connor
This booklet strains the origins and actions of an alliance of conservative Communist get together specialists and Russian nationalists throughout the overdue Soviet period. in particular, it examines how and to what volume hitherto orthodox Communists sought political allies within the Russian nationalist flow for you to garner aid for halting the reform application and saving the Soviet kingdom from cave in. concentrating on the perestroika interval, Dr. Kevin O'Connor explains intimately how Marxism-Leninsim receded into irrelevance, forcing orthodox Communists to desert their Marxist ideas in want of serious Russian nationalism.
Read or Download Intellectuals and Apparatchiks PDF
Best russian & former soviet union books
". .. a sizzling topic in cutting-edge scholarship. .. and a groundbreaking undertaking of important importance to the sector of cultural stories at either 'western' and 'eastern' geographical destinations. " -- Elwira GrossmanOver the Wall/After the autumn maps a brand new discourse at the evolution of cultural lifestyles in jap Europe following the tip of communism.
This attention-grabbing research examines wartime Chinese-Soviet kinfolk from a Moscow-based, chinese language standpoint on the ambassadorial point. The booklet comprises descriptions of daily life in Moscow, of embassy enterprise, of up to date occasions and international relations, of intelligence operations, of conferences with Stalin, and of communications to and from Chongqing.
The present clash in Ukraine has spawned the main severe obstacle among Russia and the West because the finish of the chilly conflict. It has undermined eu safeguard, raised questions about NATO’s destiny, and placed an finish to 1 of the main bold tasks of U. S. overseas policy—building a partnership with Russia.
Drawing on his personal incarceration and exile, in addition to on proof from greater than 2 hundred fellow prisoners and Soviet data, Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn finds the total equipment of Soviet repression—the nation in the nation that governed all-powerfully. via really Shakespearean snap shots of its victims—men, girls, and children—we come across mystery police operations, hard work camps and prisons; the uprooting or extermination of complete populations, the "welcome" that awaited Russian infantrymen who have been German prisoners of battle.
- From Lenin to Stalin
- A Glossary of the European Union (Politics Glossaries)
- Memoirs of Nikita Khrushchev: Statesman, 1953-1964
- The Price of the Past: Russia's Struggle With the Legacy of a Militarized Economy
Extra info for Intellectuals and Apparatchiks
Carter, Russian Nationalism: Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow (New York: St. Martin's Press, 1990); Thomas ParI and, The Rejection in Russia of Totalitarian Socialism and Liberal Democracy: A Study of the Russian New Right (Helsinki: Commentationes Scienarium Socialium, 1993).
17. Timothy McDaniel, The Agony of the Russian Idea (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1997), 44. 18. W. Bruce Lincoln, Nicholas I: Emperor and Autocrat of All the Russias (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1978),239-250. 19. Theodore R. : Northern 1llinois University Press, 1996). 20. See Hans Rogger, Russia in the Modern Age: Modernisation and Revolution 18811917 (New York: Longman, 1983). Quote from Rogger, "Nationalism and the State: A Russian Dilemma," Comparative Studies in Society and History 4, no.
19. Theodore R. : Northern 1llinois University Press, 1996). 20. See Hans Rogger, Russia in the Modern Age: Modernisation and Revolution 18811917 (New York: Longman, 1983). Quote from Rogger, "Nationalism and the State: A Russian Dilemma," Comparative Studies in Society and History 4, no. 3 (1962): 253. 21. Weeks, 5. 22. : Cornell University Press, 2001), 26. 23. Mikhail S. Gorbachev, Perestroika (New York: Harper & Row, 1987), 118-121. 24. For an overview of the nationalist revival in the USSR, see H6U:ne Carrere d'Encausse, The End of the Soviet Empire (New York: Basic Books, 1993).